Third Space InitiativeMaking Theater a Space for All
We will re-imagine how theaters function with and for their communities by becoming Norristown’s Third Space.
The “Third Space” is inspired by the work of sociologist Ray Oldenburg, who defines it as the social surroundings separate from home and work that are essential for civil society, democracy, civic engagement, and creating a sense of connection. Examples of third spaces include:
To create a cultural space for all
takes the vision & generosity of Theatre Horizon enthusiasts
just like you!
Our goal is to raise $1,000,000 from members of our committed community by June 30th, 2022.
Your gift allows us to…
- Serve our community in the wake of COVID-19.
- Lead peer theaters in adapting art-making post-pandemic.
- Provide our space as a learning center for Norristown students.
- Produce engaging, award-winning theater, both in-person and virtually.
- Develop Our Norristown, an original play that will give paid, creative opportunities to community members.
- Establish ourselves as an antiracist theater by rethinking how we operate & developing a residency for local Black artists.
- Offer Norristown education programs on a sliding scale & continue our $2 ACCESS ticketing program.
- Create new opportunities for Spanish-language speakers, young audiences, & our community partners.
- Keep our teachers & staff employed to prioritize arts education.
- Make our lobby a public space where people can gather regularly.
We are so excited to create this space with the community.
Will You Join Us?